Monday, March 07, 2005

In the time of Chimpanzees I was a Monkey

Mmmmm bananas...

I've never bothered to look deeper into the rumours I've heard about bananas dieing out. I originally heard of it from one of my more learned friends
It scares me (in tiny ways, I'll get over it) to think of a banana-less world. I love bananas. They are my favourite fruit. I was eating one when I started this post! Of my recommended 4 servings of fruit a day, I am willing to bet that (when I do achieve all 4) that half of them are bananas or banana related. When they released banana Snapple, I was in heaven.
The idea of spending the rest of my life eating proto-banana plantains and banana-reminiscent flavour substitutes is genuinely a depressing thought... and that's before I even begin to consider the concomitant enviromental issues.
But I also caught a flash of a debunking of the idea which has lifted my heart... but can I find it?

Googling "banana extinct" get's a whopping 7 hits - including the above link. Whereas "banana hoax" only serves up one. So, I don't know what to think.

"Tra la la, Tra la la la, Tra la la, la la la la la... One banana, two banana, three banana, four. Four bananas make a bunch and so do many more." - The Banana Splits Theme Song.

This is cool... we've dug a little closer to our roots.

In University I started as an anthropology major - because it was the closest thing I could get to Archeology and I had it in my head that I wanted to be Indiana Jones... I was a bit deluded. I also took minors in mythology and theatre... ...I'm shooting my second film next week - any guesses what happened back in University?
I dropped Anthropology by the end of first semester - at first year level it was merely one course anyhow. We were expected to fill out our first year with all our required electives... I took three theatre courses and ended up switching my major, 'cause anthropology was SO BORING!
But I kept up a bit of an interest in it... perhaps we all have some interest in where we all come from.

Kinda flips the bird at the ghost of William Jennings Bryan, eh?

No comments: