Monday, June 09, 2008

Six Word Memoirs - My Heart Breaking New Literary Addiction

I've found myself a new web-page. It is addicting beyond my imagination.

It came from a simple notion. Hemingway was once given a challenge. Write a story with six words. Just six - beginning, middle and end. His response was profound and tragic. "For Sale: Baby shoes. Never worn."

Smith Magazine challenged other famous authors. Including: Colbert, Eggers, Sedaris, and Chopra. They also solicited their many readers. Then they made it a book. "Not Quite What I Was Planning." They also gave it a sub-title. "Six word Memoirs by Famous Authors." It also includes their obscure contributions.

They are still taking new memoirs. New ones go on the web-site. Maybe eventually in a new book.

They are various in their impact. Curious, complete, sad, inspiring and funny.

I had to submit my own. "No time to wait for coda." I'll try again with more reflection.

It'll definitely make a good present.

No comments: